Pages

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Angry Birds party prep, part 4 - the actual party

Whew!  Are you sick of Angry Birds yet?  I know I am ... especially after we inflated 40 balloons, tied strings to them, decorated them with faces, and taped them to the ceiling the day of the party.
The balloons proved to be a big hit with the kids, especially when I allowed them to pull them down and pop them.  Forget the carnival games - we want mass destruction!
Speaking of mass destruction, the carnival game was a big success, too.  When we ran it at school for 22 kids, we had two towers and two groups of four kids would take turns throwing the balls to knock down their tower.  We made sure all the kids got a turn to throw, but not everyone got to be the one who knocked down the tower.  At the actual party, we gave each kid their own tower and let them throw the balls until all of the pigs were down, then they got to help build the tower for the next kid.


We only had a handful of kids, so this didn't involve too much waiting - otherwise I would have run two towers, or had them work in pairs or something.

Perhaps you're wondering how I made the pigs?  With porcupine kooshy balls, of course!
I cut off the spines in the area I planned to use for the face, then glued on some googly eyes and added details with a Sharpie.  I'm particularly proud of the ears, which are just the finger loop that was originally attached to the ball, cut in half and glued on with E6000 glue.  This dude made it through the whole party with ears intact, which counts as a success in my book.

After the carnival game we took a break to get some snacks and take some pictures with the photo opportunity.  That worked out well, too, with the handles staying attached and everyone being willing to get their picture taken with it.  We need to work on these kids' angry faces, though.
After that we proved that 5- and 6-year-olds really don't have any basic sense of direction, at least not while blindfolded.
I ended up using eyeballs instead of eyebrows for the game, partly because I didn't feel like cutting out the eyebrows by hand (I already had some extra eyeballs from another project and could easily make more with two paper punches).  I'm glad I did, because the Octoclops angry bird is too funny for words.

And that's about it for the themed stuff.  We sang, ate cake, opened presents, ran around the house in various sparkly costumes (the kids) or ate unhealthy amounts of guacamole (the adults) until it was time for the guests to go home.  The goodie bags for the kids included some cookies, the birds' nests, a punch balloon, one of the crocheted angry birds, and a shrinky-dink necklace of the red bird that I made at 11pm the night before the party.

And the verdict?
This was the best party ever!

And next year I think I'll just take them bowling :)

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wondering how you made the photo opportunity...